There was a big discussion on Jezebel this afternoon about this new Britney Spears video (yeah, late, I know) - some said it was the naked writhing that sent her down the tubes in the first place, others loved that she's (")back("), others were dismayed that the last scene featured violence against men, and I thought I'd put it up to you guys to talk about.
As for me, I seriously believe it's supposed to be a humorous take on pop videos, or at least a tongue-in-cheek commentary on Britney's own career.
It had everything! The aforementioned naked writhing, the costume changes, the wigs (THE WIGS! Oh Britney, I'm so glad you brought the wigs back...in a professional capacity), the feminism-lite screed that actually says more about one particular women than it does about women in general (Isn't she employing entrapment in this video?). Final verdict: Yeah, I loved it.
I'm including it here so you can judge for yourself. I'd suggest turning down the volume - the verses themselves are non-issues, but somehow the "womanizer womanizer womanizer womanizer woman-womanizer womanizer womanizer womanizer womanizer" featured in the chorus kind of annoyed me, so maybe you could just mute that part out.
How could I think anything else? Things that made me laugh out loud in this video:
- Ooh! Britney in the sauna, sexy...nevermind? HOMEMAKER BRITNEY.
- Why is that egg SQUARE?
- Man lifts prominently featured phone - I think we're meant to believe that he's checking to see who he's going to cheat with later, but if you freeze the frame you can see that the screen reads: "10:15am - Product Placement Meeting"
- The use of the word "re-up"
- Man with a mo-hawk in impressive i-banking firm: totally within the realm of possibility!
- Britney photocopies own butt, PUNCHES THE RESULTING XEROX
- Man falls into his chair, the coffee jumps out of his cup...and disappears.
- Waitress Britney reminds me of the lady from Project Runway who loved "leathah" and kept saying, "I am Rock N' Roll!" Except not 75 years old.
- Restaurant staff has an orgy. It's funny 'cause it's true.
- Where'd the naked showering guy go?
- Britney's multiple personalities beat up cheating guy.
- Britney says, "You say I'm crazy? I got your crazy" (which is, in and of itself, FUCKING AMAZINGLY HILARIOUS) and gives us a really legitimately insane look. I BELEEV U BRITNEY I BELEEV U HAZ MAH CRAYZEE AHHHHHH.
Actually after listening to it 5 times while I typed this entry I actually grew to like the chorus. So nevermind.