Monday, November 3, 2008

Check Myself Befo' I Become the Subject of a Restraining Order

You guys, I need to learn how to reign in my unabashed admirations. Seriously. Remember how I wrote a long email to my Literary Criticism prof last week about how much I love her class and value her opinion, and she wrote back some one-liner about senior theses? Yeah, I just did that again. This time with my 19th Century Novel prof:

Hi, Dr. Prof,

I couldn't remember the name of this painting when we were talking about my presentation after class today. It's The Outcast, by Richard Redgrave. I'm attaching it so you can see what I was talking about. I'm also attaching The Awakening Conscience by Holman Hunt. This is the other painting I'm going to use in my presentation.

Let me know what you think! See you Tuesday...
-Priya


He said...

Priya,
I like them.
I think they'll make your presentation richer. Best, Dr. Prof


Wow. Really? Do you think it's possible to get a more terse note than that? Hahaha. The reason I'm so bothered by this is because this kind of outreach has historically gone over really well with my profs. WHY WONT YOU JUST LOVE ME!? I guess it also has to do with my insecurity and the first ever documented case of juvenile-onset dementia. AND I don't want them to think I'm sucking up. Because I'm not! I'm just enthusiastic and verbose! How do I get across "enthusiastic and verbose" while simultaneously leaving out the "cutthroat insincerity"? Anyone got any ideas for this?

I am a participant in NaBloPoMo 2008. Post every day in November. That's all you have to do.

2 comments:

L said...

I really wouldn't take it too personally, as every professor that I've *ever* emailed have responded succinctly - some even with one/two word replies to questions that were not of the "yes or no" type.

Priya said...

That does make me feel better. I guess I have to learn to take a prof's comments in different context than I would a peer's.