Monday, November 10, 2008

Pop Art Imitating Life

I've always loved pop art, to the extent that I wish I could be rotoscoped in real life. As I walk down the street, I want splashes of paint to appear in the air around me. Does that make sense? To clarify: I more or less want my life to look like an iPod commercial, hence my always having wanted a large-ish tattoo with bold lines and bright colours. Recently my dress has started to reflect this...I wish there was some socially acceptable way to take it a step further. Ideas? ANYWAY, when I saw these videos yesterday, I was both tickled and envious.

I'm kind of angry at the director of this Kanye West video for having such an awesome name (Hype Williams? Are you freaking kidding me? It's second only to Princess Nudelman). I only kind of tolerate the song itself. I get that everyone's entitled to a little relationship ennui, but the rhyme, lyrics, melody of the song aren't as...hypnotic as I think the video deserves. Check it out:


Heartless from kwest on Vimeo.

This video is a LEGO fashion show, which has a little bit of something for everyone. I actually found myself taking notes on the things the little guys and girls were wearing - some of those outfits are actually pretty killer (namely the Cloud one-pieces and the word-stamped top and pants)! Also: have a little chuckle at the LEGO Anna Wintour sitting in the front row, movable parts making her a little...fuller-figured than usual, but iconic bob and sunglasses intact.


JCDC Versus LEGO from Four H on Vimeo.

Here's an example of how my vision would work in real life (see the portion with Nicole Kidman in the insane yellow suit, and imagine splatters of #1E90FF flying onto the air, like the background is actually a two-dimensional backdrop, behind her). It also helps that this clip in its entirety is really fucking funny.



I am a participant in NaBloPoMo 2008. Post every day in November. That's all you have to do.

No comments: