Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dude. Fuck. Seriously.

So...I have been away for a week! I wasn't taking a hiatus on purpose, it was just one of those things where I went out of town and didn't sit in front of a computer, and fell out of the habit of thinking of things to talk about here. And then my parents and I had a fight so I've been too depressed to write. BUT I figure I'll try to get back into the swing of things by summarizing my weekend.

I saw Kyle's band play at the Cat Club (after a long and arduous process of trying to get into LA in the first place) on Thursday - it was totally worth all the trouble I went through to get there. I took a bunch of videos, and I was going to post one here, but the video editing program I downloaded (which has proven to be something of a problem, given the fact that I use Vista and .AVI files) needs to be a paid-for version before it lets me post anything without a big fat watermark in the middle. Enough sob stories about that. Maybe I'll just post a quick something from the weekend...


Intro and Last Song from Priya on Vimeo.

Okay. I hope you enjoyed that.
Then on Friday I mostly read Chaucer (because I had a presentation this Monday and needed to actually do the reading for once) during the day. Later, I went to see Coraline in 3D. That was UNREAL. I had a major Los Angeles Moment when I realized that someone was smoking out in the theatre and, since I was sitting in the last row, the smoke was wafting over me for the whole show. That was pretty interesting. Towards the end though, I mostly pitied the person who actually smoked the stuff, because shit got really scary, really fast. I just knew it would have turned into a really bad trip if I had been high. I found it to be very Gothic, which I liked. The more I read 19th century literature, the more I believe that I may be, like, into Goth shit. I shudder to think such a thing, but: rapier wit, a taste for the subversive and baroque, a high school career spent spinning in Glam and Punk rock, Morrissey, rare steak, a somewhat welcoming attitude towards death, the sneaking suspicion that I'm an evil genius lurking in disguise, deep and abiding ennui, a certain seething rage and simultaneous nonchalance at the ubiquitousness of human suffering...well, as Dr. Ian Malcolm would say: there it is. Anyway...

Later that night we went to see a midnight showing of The Princess Bride. I saw it once with my parents about...five years ago, but at that point I was more interested in watching Memento. Now I can appreciate the brilliance that can be accomplished even in movies for children - especially in movies for children, since it happens right under your nose. It was an old reel, I guess, and it kept slipping off the projector and stalling the movie. It was a good time, though.

Then, just as I was hitting my stride, it was time to come back to the grind and spend my nights sweating in anticipation of an uncertain future, as per the fucking usual. Spring break is coming up, though, and with it, SXSW, which should prove to be an adventure at the very least. In the meantime, I'm here. I'm here, I'm here, I'm here. And I'm in a mood.

No comments: