Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Ultimate Bad-Guy-Wins Movie

Shem and I have been arguing about the ultimate bad-guy-wins movie. I say The Omen, he says Arlington Road. Both good entries, I'll admit it. I think mine is better because, um, THE ANTICHRIST? Shem thinks that my entry is disqualified because, um, it's the Antichrist. How could he not win? And I see his point. But I tend to think that The Omen is scarier because the ending means that the Antichrist is alive and lurking, lurking.

In other news, movies.
I'm VERY excited about the new John Cusack movies. One is called Martian Child, and the other is 1408. You've probably seen previews for the latter. They both feature John as a father, and that's very weird to me. I mean, daddy.

I'm sorry I did that.

I saw Knocked Up recently, and it's fucking awesome. Have I already covered this? It's about sex, and it's about growing the fuck up, finally. People say it's misogynistic, but I don't think it is. It's a calling-out of all the silly man-children of American Culture. It shouted, like, directly to my soul, because my nights nowadays are spent watching Kyle and his friends play Ultimate Alliance on the Wii, discussing how the characters interact IRL, meaning - of course - on paper, in comic books. Sure, they're funny ("So was it awkward changing your name from Cat Stevens to Usef Islam? Seeya, Scorsese on coke!"), but...
but...
but...
but...
but...

Come On.

They're like little kids (see: an entry I posted a couple days ago titled Shem Says). And not sweet, see-the-wonder-shining-in-their-eyes, doesn't-it-take-you-back kids, either. They're like little kids that have sex. All the immaturity, none of the innocence. I feel like those things should come in hand, like Great Power and Great Responsibility. If you get to have sex, you have to lose the Legos.
Sounds like a fair exchange to me. Maybe I'm just too demanding,
Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold.

No comments: