Friday, September 19, 2008

One Note Song

Marion just opened exposed me to Last.Fm. It's like Pandora, except...actually, I'm not sure how they're different. It doesn't matter. Actually, she and Jordan both got to me at around the same time, but credit must be given where it is due, and Marion did it first.

Back to Last.Fm: you create this profile on the site and it creates a little radio station for you to listen to similar artists. And it lists the last songs you listened to, so people that visit your profile can judge you. I always love a good judging, and I'm not afraid; I listed Journey as one of my favourite artists. At least Jordan will never accuse me of being a "hipster skank" or whatever she called Marion (those two go back as far as any of us care to remember, but I'll be damned if they don't vary wildly on tastes...in everything).

I also listed Liz Phair as a favourite artist, and the geniuses (you'll see if I'm being sarcastic or not in a second) at Last.Fm suggested that I would like these similar artists: Lisa Loeb, Aimee Mann, Poe, Natalie Merchant, Jewel, Tori Amos, and Sheryl Crow, among others. Oh my god, I just clicked to the next page and Ani DiFranco (AND the Indigo Girls) came up. Apparently an affinity for feminine independence and wry wit make me a single 30-something who has given up on men completely and gone lesbian (doing a disservice to real lesbians everywhere, I might add). That is not me.

Meanwhile, I'm making a mix for Kyle and decided to look for music that was like The Deftones, one of his favourite bands. The next five bands suggested were: Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Nirvana, Incubus, and more Deftones. Which suggests that I'm dating a 15 year old with a burgeoning pot habit who just can't come to terms with his boners. And you can say what you will about my boyfriend, but he has no problems with his boners.

What does the music you listen to say about you?

No comments: