Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Very Brown Thanksgiving

My family has always been exceedingly casual about celebrating Thanksgiving.

For many of my childhood years, my dad was working and my mom was using the break from being the schoolwork taskmaster to catch up on other stuff, so we usually had pizza or a regular meal for our Thanksgiving "feast". As a kid, this was really irritating because everyone else was seeing their grandparents or traveling or whatever, and it was just another boring day for me.

Now that I think about it, my parents' utter disregard for Thanksgiving Tradition probably also has to do with the fact that they were both raised in Canada, where Thanksgiving is much less of a bloated event than it is here in the States. I don't care that much anymore - having been to a couple of traditional Thanksgivings since moving in with Kyle, I can say with authority that I could take it or leave it. Thanksgiving prep seems like a lot of consternation for a meal that lasts only half an hour and literally gets turned into poop half an hour after that (not that I would know anything about that part).

So I was only slightly interested when my mom told me that today we'd be going to eat at an Indian restaurant for "Thanksgiving Brunch". I really wanted to tell her that there's no such thing as "Thanksgiving Brunch", but when you think about it, it's not like we're having the traditional meal, but just at the wrong time...we're eating INDIAN FOOD. The only thing that makes it Thanksgiving Indian Food is the fact that it falls on this particular Thursday - and really, once you've broken with the way things are done in such a major way, why not just take it on to home base?

This year I'm thankful for Kyle, who has always been my most ardent supporter, in all things...even going back to school, when it meant that I would be far, far away and selfish. I'm thankful for being able to go back to school. I'm thankful for my family. And I'm thankful for Indian food.

I am a participant in NaBloPoMo 2008. Post every day in November. That's all you have to do.

No comments: