Monday, December 17, 2012

To Believe

What does it mean to trust a person, an institution, or a whole society? What do I lose when I trust? What do I gain? And when I have lost my ability to trust, what does it mean for myself, for others? So far I've been struggling to get past the obvious conclusions about how trusting is a good thing because it leads to inner peace and stuff.

A cynical way of thinking about religion is that man is afraid of death and created gods in various forms to give himself something to look forward to in the afterlife. Maybe another way is to think it is man created religion because he wanted to have someone to trust in, when the ones who are closest to us betray us, or if someone far away betrays society.

If I trust in someone who has made mistakes in the past, I am merely extending the same belief in core goodness that he extends me. I have made mistakes too. Although that doesn't make it AT ALL easier to do. I try. But what if when I try I fail? And fail again? I'm not the kind of person that has a problem and lets it lie. I need to solve it. The moment I'm presented with a problem I start to look for ways out. There is something to be said for staying the course but there's also something to be said for admitting that I was wrong.

Stupid vague blog post I won't even understand 6 months from now: /rant

No comments: