Friday, July 3, 2009

[via Facebook]

I was tagged in a note on Facebook today. As I'm sure you already know, I don't do notes, but I often cut and paste them here.

"List 15 books you've read that will always stick with you -- list the first 15 you can recall in 15 minutes. Don't take too long to think about it.

Tag 15 friends (and while it is easy to tag more, part of the challenge is to think about which 15 friends would have the weirdest or most interesting book list), including me. If you don't want to play, no sweat. Feel free to go about your business."

But wait. First I want to show you what my friend chose as his 15 unforgettable books. Behold...REASON #129384 THIS GUY AND I WILL NEVER BE THAT CLOSE:

Saint Genet -- Sartre
Blood Meridian--Cormac McCarthy
The Crossing--Cormac McCarthy
On Suicide--Jean Amery
On Aging--Jean Amery
At the Mind's Limits--Jean Amery
Les Fleurs du Mal--Charles Baudelaire
The Precious Treasury of the Basic Space of Phenomena--Longchen Rabjam
The Way of the Bodhisattva--Shantideva
Inner Experience--Georges Bataille
Phenomenology of Spirit--Hegel
Confederacy of Dunces--Toole
Visions of Cody--Kerouac
Precious Treasury of the Way of Abiding--Longchen Rabjam
Wild Ways: Poems of Ikkyu--Ikkyu

What, Tuesdays With Morrie didn't make the list? Oh well, congratulations on being literate, anyway (even if it did make you a philosophy dick)! And now, in no particular order, my 15. Or potentially, if we're being realistic: Reason #928573 YOU AND I WILL NEVER BE THAT CLOSE. Alternate title: When I Write It Out Like This, It Appears My Tastes Are Somewhat Pedestrian

1. David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
2. Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being
3. James Joyce - The Dubliners
4. Dave Eggers - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
5. Bram Stoker - Dracula
6. David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day
7. John Irving - The World According to Garp
8. Nick Hornby - High Fidelity
9. Chuck Klosterman - Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs
10. Marc Spitz - How Soon is Never?
11. Michael Chrichton - Jurassic Park
12. JRR Tolkien - The Hobbit
13. Tom Wolfe - The Bonfire of the Vanities
14. Chuck Palahniuk - Survivor
15. Jay McInerney - Bright Lights, Big City

No comments: