Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Valerie Solanas's S.C.U.M. Manifesto

I just read Valerie Solanas's S.C.U.M. manifesto, and...wow. Girl's pissed. It appears that she wrote this after Andy Warhol accepted and then lost the manuscript to a play that she wrote (I can't imagine why anyone would expect anything different from him - whatever else he was, he certainly seems like he would be something of an inconsiderate flake). I get why she'd be mad about that, but this mad? I wanted to cut and paste the whole text here, but that would be impossible and ridiculous anyway. You can check it out at this URL:

http://gos.sbc.edu/s/solanas.html

There's a lot to say about everything that's going on in Solanas's manifesto, and I'd be happy to discuss the points she makes at length with any of you. At this juncture, however, I'll just say that I personally think she's unintentionally hilarious, but still thoroughly wrong (I mean, one would hope that I think she's wrong - for a variety of reasons), and leave you to draw your own conclusions.

No comments: